Parrot Jungle

Parrot Jungle PostcardOne of the first tourist attractions in the Miami, Florida area, Parrot Jungle was established in 1936 by Franz & Louise Scherr. The park was moved from its original location in the suburb of Pinecrest to Watson Island in 2003 and renamed Parrot Jungle Island, but in 2007 it was renamed yet again to simply, Jungle Island. On the back:

This natural jungle is one of unspoiled tropical beauty. Here you will see wild orchids and other air plants, giant cypress, many varieties of palm and cacti, the strangler fig, and uncounted specimens of native and exotic flora.
Brightly colored birds are in evidence everywhere. The brilliant macaws and parrots perched on high limbs, while peafowl and pheasants strut below in gorgeous array.

Crapo Park

Crapo Park PostcardEstablished in 1895, Crapo Park (pronounced Cray-po) consists of 85 acres in Burlington, Iowa. The “Electric Fountain” shown here is known today as the Foehlinger Fountain, and displays it’s colors and varying spray patterns each year between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

Monkey Island

Monkey Island PostcardLocated within Riverside Park in Independence, Kansas is the Ralph Mitchell Zoo, and one of the historic attractions there is Monkey Island, a rhesus monkey exhibit that was constructed in 1932. The historic significance of Monkey Island lies in it being the birthplace of Miss Able, the first non-communist monkey in space. Launched on May 28, 1959, Miss Able returned safely to earth but died soon after during surgery to remove implanted electrodes. Sometimes fame is fleeting.

Pavilion on Belle Isle

Belle Isle PostcardNamed “Hog Island” by French colonists in the 18th century, Belle Isle is located in the Detroit River. On the back:

PAVILION, BELLE ISLE.-Detroit’s principal recreation spot, is an island in the Detroit river connected with the city by a bridge, 8 feet less than half a mile in length. It comprises 702 acres, is over two miles long and boasts over 20 miles of fine macadam roadway. A fine zoo, aquarium, horticultural building, swimming and skating pavilions, casino and boat livery are in connection. The city has expended over $1,500.00 on it since its purchase in 1879.

Prospect Park

Prospect Park PostcardOpened to the public in 1897, Brooklyn’s Prospect Park was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux following the completion of their work on Manhattan’s Central Park. This undivided back view of the park and its shelter house was postmarked in 1906.