Established by an act of Congress in 1866, the 116 acre Vicksburg National Cemetery holds the remains of 17,000 Civil War Union soldiers. The cemetery has been closed for burials since May 1961, except to those individuals who had reserved space for interment prior to that time.
Located in Natchez, Mississippi, Stanton Hall was built between 1851-1857 by cotton broker Frederick Stanton. As fate would have it, Stanton died just a month after the completion of the Antebellum mansion. On the back:
Built in 1851, a replica of the Irish ancestral home of Frederick Stanton. No expense was spared. Elaborately carved mantels, bronze chandeliers, enormous mirrors were created in France and Spain and brought to Natchez in a chartered boat. At the end of the music room are huge double doors which can be opened to throw the right side of the house into a 72-foot ballroom.
This house antedates nearly all the grand mansions of Natchez. Cherokee dates to two distinct periods. The rear section being of Spanish origin was erected as early as 1794. Later David Michie, a gentleman of Irish extraction added the Palladian front, thus becoming famous as a typical Irish manor house.