Pigtail Bridge

Pigtail Bridge PostcardPigtail Bridge PostcardIron Mountain Road, between Custer State Park and Mount Rushmore, is known for its “pigtail bridges”. The stacked loops were conceived in 1932 by Custer State Park superintendent Cecil Clyde Gideon to accommodate the considerable elevation changes along the route. Shown here are two similar views of the same bridge, the first a linen card from Curt Teich, the second a chrome card printed by Dexter Press. On the back of the bottom card is this caption:

DOUBLE PIGTAIL BRIDGE. The most scenic approach to Mt. Rushmore is that on highway No. U. S. 16. In this scene the highway is shown from the upper bridge of a “double pigtail.” Mt. Rushmore is in the distance.

Mount Rushmore

Mount Rushmore PostcardAnother look at Mt. Rushmore, courtesy of the folks at Curt Teich. On the reverse is this description:

Mount Rushmore in the southern Black Hills of South Dakota, bearing the heads of Washington, Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt and Lincoln, was carved from solid granite by the famous sculptor, Gutzon Borglum, and is the most colossal piece of sculpture ever attempted.

Mt. Rushmore, Before and After

Mt. Rushmore PostcardProduced by Curt Teich, this linen card offers two views of Mt. Rushmore, one before the carving commenced and the other after its completion. On the back:

This view shows Mt. Rushmore, before work was started in 1927 and the gigantic monument as it looks to-day. The Memorial carved out of Granite Rock by the famous sculptor Gutzon Borglum is 6200 ft. above sea level and the Busts are proportionate to men 465 ft. high.

Mount Rushmore Under Construction

Mount Rushmore postcardInteresting card, this. The image didn’t register with me at first, but then it’s significance began to sink in: this card shows Jefferson’s head to the left of Washington’s. Postmarked in 1934, the card depicts the mountain carving fairly early in it’s progress, before a flaw in the rock surfaced, a defect that necessitated the removal, via dynamite, of Jefferson’s head. The head was begun anew to the right of Washington, but again defects in the rock were found. This was remedied by tilting the head back, giving Jefferson what is often described as a thoughtful, reflective expression.